Saturday, March 20, 2010

Is happiness anathema to creativity?

I went to see an exhibition today. Beautiful, brightly colored paintings with a woman as the central theme. What I saw, was happy colors and introspective images. A look at the titles and the words written on the artworks surprised me though. All were sad, negative, full of angst. The paintings talked of hurt, betrayal, loss of innocence. For me the thoughts took away some of the beauty of the art. I came away pondering on the connection between art and torment of the human mind

Is the path to creative outpouring lined with all that is negative in the human nature? Is misery the only way to draw from the well of ingenuity. I have always heard that poets write their best works at the lowest phase of their lives. Ghazals are said to be the sweetest and heart felt when the author was wallowing in self-pity (suicidal) after a broken heart. The best music was written by angst-ridden, love deprived, sidelined-by-society rockers (Personally I think they were too stoned to think about all this and the explanations were given by their biographers. No offence to anybody. Rock is my favorite genre of music.) Picasso changed his style every time he changed the woman in his life. (Okay! We can call this inspiration).
Does a tortured mind become more creative? Can't happy, at peace with themselves people be gifted? Or is it fashionable to project an image of anguish to get your work appreciated? I have started thinking this is partly or more of a reason. Maybe people think where is the beauty in portraying something that is already beautiful. They like to applaud the beautiful image of something they loathe. Or they are so afraid of acknowledging the sadness of their lives that they will lap up anything that glosses over it. Or they like to clap at the effort of the artist to rise above the cesspool of his existence and secretly gloat they do not have to fight the very same demons.
What is wrong with cheerful disposition? Why can't positive thought flower into a work of art? Why is it less valuable or inspirational unless a trauma is attached to it? Children are genuinely happy people and undisputed in originality. I, for one, can't think straight if I am sad, angry, morose etc. etc. I can't sit and design something if I have fought with someone I love. I am most inspired when I am in a happy place. O My God! Does that mean I am not creative?
In today's episode of Dance India Dance, Arshad Warsi said, 'The all great performers have some pain or struggle in their past'. This is what gives them the passion to perform. Do have to be deprived to be passionate about anything? I do agree, you value what you do not have. But getting the object of your desire easily does not lessen the value or make you less passionate about it if you want it for the right reasons. You only cherish it more. Hard work is part of every success story but it need not be clubbed with torment. Hard work and positive outlook will take you places.

0 comments: